This is the first time I’ve attempted to make my own red Thai paste, and I’m so glad I did!
Simply chop everything up and throw into a blender – 10 minute total prep time. The perfect way to spice up (or down!) your Thai curries.
Add some veggies and coconut milk, and you have yourself a perfect curry!
This recipe makes enough paste to create a Thai curry for two people.
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 3 medium sized red chillies (add one more if you prefer a hot curry)
- 2 lemongrass stalks, roughly chopped
- 4cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- The zest of one lime, plus a generous squeeze of the juice
- A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
Throw the ingredients into a high speed blender, and blend until smooth.
The Red Thai Curry
- A load of fresh veggies – I used mushrooms, spinach, sugar snap peas, spring onions and purple sprouting broccoli
- 4 tablespoons of red Thai curry paste (see above)
- One 400ml can of low fat coconut milk
- With a little vegetable oil, fry the veggies in a wok for a few minutes until softened slightly.
- Stir in the red Thai curry paste, and fry gently for another minute.
- Pour in the coconut milk, and allow to simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until your veggies are cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve with rice and enjoy!
For more regular posts, follow me on Instagram!