Biscuits and chocolate don’t last long in our house, so I love having recipes I can whip together quickly when we fancy something sweet – in this case, 10pm on a Sunday night!
These cookies are prepped and cooked within 20 minutes, require one bowl and just a handful of ingredients.
Buttery, indulgent and satisfying – everything a cookie should be!
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed + 2.5 tablespoons of water)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use Vitalite Sunflower Spread)
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons of small walnut chunks
- 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
Ground flaxseed is such a useful product to have in the cupboard! Great sprinkled on yogurt, added to smoothies and for egg substitutes in baking. Plus 1 tbsp = your RDA of omega 3! Available from virtually all supermarkets and health food shops, cheap as chips and lasts for ages.
Remember, walnuts are also a great source of those all important omega 3 fatty acids!
- Preheat your oven to 180.C and line two baking trays with foil or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, make your flax egg and set aside.
- With a hand blender, beat the butter for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, and beat for another minute or so. Then mix in your flax egg, peanut butter and walnuts.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients until a soft dough is formed. Taste and adjust sweetness or cinnamon if necessary.
- With your hands, shape little balls of dough and place spaced a few centimeters apart on your baking trays. Bake for 12 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack for a further few minutes to firm up. Enjoy!