Hooray for vegan cheese! This quick and easy ‘cheese’ tastes virtually identical to the type you might get with nachos in the cinema, or with some traditional mac ‘n’ cheese.
And it’s made from potatoes and carrots. Yes, really! However, that does not give me an excuse to eat it straight from the bowl with a spoon.. or does it?
- 2 cups Maris Piper potatoes, diced (or any white potato)
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast flakes*
- 1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder or granules
- Dash of cayenne pepper
* Nutritional yeast is really important! This savoury seasoning helps give the recipe a rich, authentic cheese-like flavour. ‘Marigold Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes’ is my favourite – and it’s a great source of vitamin B12. Available from most health food shops or online, a large tub costs approximately £3.00.
- Boil the carrots and potatoes until soft – roughly 12 minutes.
- Pop all the ingredients into a high speed blender, and blend until smooth and silky.
- That’s it!
Store in the fridge – it won’t go hard, but will thicken up a little.
Stir into some cooked pasta for perfect mac ‘n’ cheese, use as a dip with some nachos or add to cheesy black bean quesadillas!