This sweet, garlicky aubergine perfection has become a firm favourite in our house. It’s so quick and easy, and really satisfies those pesky Chinese takeaway cravings if you’re anything like me!
I usually serve this with fried rice flavoured with garlic and soy sauce, and some fresh cucumber slices. Crispy mock duck is a great addition to this dish (pictured below), and is available from virtually all Chinese supermarkets. It tastes very realistic – without harming anything!
- 2 aubergines, cut into little cubes
- Handful of green beans, chopped into thirds
- Handful of chopped mushrooms and spring onions (optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped (or a generous amount of squeezy garlic)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/2 a vegetable stock cube
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic granules
- Salt and pepper
This recipe provides two very generous portions! Plus you’ll probably have some left for lunch the next day.
- To a lightly oiled baking tray, add your aubergine chunks and bake at 180.C for 15 minutes. This is to soften them up, and speed up cooking time.
- Heat a dash of oil (roughly 2 tbsp) in a wok over a medium/high heat.
- Add your cooked aubergine, green beans, plus any other veg you’re using, and season with a touch of salt and pepper. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic, chili flakes, onion granules and stock cube, along with 300ml of water. Stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer until about half of the water has been absorbed. This will only take a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the soy sauce, hot sauce, sugar and cornflour until everything is dissolved.
- Add the sauce to your aubergine mixture, stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Just before everything is done, add the garlic granules. They’re added last as I’ve noticed if you overcook them, they turn a little bitter.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary. Serve with some fried rice flavoured with garlic and soy sauce, and enjoy!